Once you have decided that you are going to be moving home in the near future, it can feel like there are a million and on different things to do in a short space of time. Don’t panic, we’ve provided our removals checklist as a handy guide along the way.
The key is to be as organised as possible, and to start early. Give yourself as much time as possible to tick things off as you go along, the last thing you want to do is to have everything to arrange in the last few days before your move.
A Month Before You Move
- Give us a call! We’ll arrange a convenient time for a survey, and then be able to give you a fixed quote; you don’t need a firm date at this stage.
- Notify utility and service providers of your upcoming move, not forgetting TV licensing, council tax, and household media suppliers
- Start sorting through furniture and belongings, deciding what you are going to take, and disposing of what you no longer need.
2 Weeks Before You Move
- Hopefully you’ll now be getting to the point where dates are being confirmed, let us know as soon as you do so we can firmly book you in.
- If you have opted to pack yourself, we’ll deliver boxes and our packing guide to you. We always recommend making an early start.
- Contact the Royal Mail and set up a redirection service if required
1 Week Before You Move
- Begin to pack your essentials box, items that you are going to need through the move, that you will need close to hand
- Pay your local bills, like the milkman and newsagent, informing them of your new address or cancelling their service
- Confirm the details of the collection and drop off of keys with buyers/vendors or landlords
The Day Before
- Pack everything you are going to need for your first night and morning in your new home, not forgetting toiletries, towels, children’s clothes and homework.
- If we’re packing for you, there is nothing you need to do, otherwise do a final check of cupboards, sheds, the loft and under the stairs, to make sure nothing is left behind.
- Leave out the essentials like the kettle, tea, coffee and milk, you may also want to leave out some things for making sandwiches
- Our crew will arrive at the agreed time, introduce themselves, and talk you through the day, listening to any suggestions or requirements you may have. They’ll then lay the full carpet protection and begin packing and loading.Now is a great time to do a final quick clean behind any items of furniture we have moved.
- It’s always nice to leave operating instructions for appliances for the new occupiers
- Make a note of meter readings, or take a photo, and keep it safe
- Once we have finished, turn off all utilities
- Have one last check of each room, let the crew know you are happy, leave the keys in the agreed location, and head off to your new home, we’ll see you there soon.
- When you arrive at your new property, make sure you have all the keys, and then be on hand to let our team know where you would like everything placing.